Tuesday, August 10, 2021

TO MARKET, TO MARKET, IN A TONGGA

TO MARKET, TO MARKET, IN A TONGGA

To market, to market in an ass-drawn cart
An ass-drawn cart called tongga
I chose an ass to draw the cart
Though a horse might’ve been strongga

I was in a hurry, so I took the short route
The long route would’ve been longga
But the route I took was the route to Beirut
It turned out I was terribly wrongga!

I lost my way ‘cause I’d strayed a bit
I should’ve taken the road to Chittagongga
I thought to myself, this tongga isn’t fit
I should’ve travelled instead in a Jongga

I was turning around when I encountered
The tennis ace Miss Goolagongga
Twittering and hopping about like a bird
Wrapped in a colourful sarongga

I called out to her, craning my neck
“Hey Miss Goolagongga, where you goingga?”
She said “I lost my way returning from a trek
To the summit of Mount Kangchendzöngga

I hafta get back Down Under to Ozzie land
And back to the town of Wollongongga
Where I practice my top-spinning backhand
Hafta be home before the dinner gongga!”

I pointed South East and told her she hasta hurry
“Thataway, there, Missy, is where you belongga
Go quick, don’t tarry, but go without a worry”
She went, spring in step, bravely singin’ a songga!

© Shiva Kumar - 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment