Thursday, December 9, 2010

Defiance

This photograph is one of my personal favourites.

It was taken sometime during the late seventies with my father's Sunflex twin lens reflex camera loaded with 100 ASA black-and-white film. This print was made many years later, on sepia toned paper.

This tree was growing outside my father's bungalow in Deogiri and was a familiar sight when we went there for our summer holidays. One summer, I saw the tree all dried up and seemingly dead. But it refused to go and instead stood there all through my month long sojourn, defiantly braving the elements.

Standing in the garden and looking at it thru the lens of the camera, the barbed wire fence in the foreground somehow seemed to fit quite well into the composition.

I would like to believe that the tree is still standing there, defiant as ever!

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant!! You can even consider sending the photo to some online end of a publisher... I am sure it will get published!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be nice to see if this tree survived the ordeal of the harsh season, age and man's greed. Deogiri must be a beautiful place too.

    Thanks for sharing the pic with us. Sinnas

    ReplyDelete
  3. @beepdeep: Yes indeed! Deogiri is a beautiful place, a mining camp, where time stands still or at least moves slowly. I am told it has not changed all that much since those days. I would love to go back for a few days. Thanks for taking time off to look at this pic.

    ReplyDelete