Saturday, April 24, 2021

NO SHADOW DAY

24 April 2021



It is No Shadow Day again. 

Go out on the stroke of noon or thereabouts and look for your shadow. You don't see it? What did I tell you?

Just like it did last year, it rained heavily last night. And the weather is not exactly balmy. It is bright and sunny - perfect weather to be out and about.

But it is also Weekend Lockdown Day. So I can't be out and about. Not to worry. I have been gifted books that I have yet to read, by a good and caring friend. The tree to curl up under that wasn't there earlier still isn't there, but the old sofa is there as solid as ever, and I have all day. So you know what I'll be doing.

What will you be doing to-day? Apart from looking for your shadow, that is.

***

24 April 2020

NO SHADOW DAY 2020

"The dry spell continues. At least in these parts where I dwell. ...
..... (some 200 words in between) .....
So, all in all, drought conditions prevail. The dry spell continues."

Yesterday, I had reprised a four-year old memory of the dry spell continuing and drought conditions prevailing and all that sort of thing.

The weather gods, not too happy with my reprising and posting four-year old memories that have no relevance for them when they had been having different plans altogether, decided on a swift reprisal.
 
Late in the night, the skies opened up. It poured, and poured like the dickens, and did not let up till the sun came up. And when the sun finally came up, it did not show its face but hovered behind a cover of clouds. We were treated to a diffused spread till well past breakfast time.

Balmy weather prevails now. The kind of weather when you look for a tree under which to curl up with a book. I don't have a tree to curl up under nearby, but I have a book, and I have a sofa.

A well-meaning friend informed, through a kind forward that some well-meaning friend of his must have forwarded to him, that to-day is No Shadow Day and, at a particular time of the day when the sun will be at its zenith, there will be no shadows. He did not mention where all the shadows will go but that is not important now. The sun is at its zenith and I am going to go out up to my gate and look for that shadow that isn't there and, after making sure it really isn't there, I am going to come back in and curl up with a book.

See you in some time. It sure feels funny without a shadow!

- © Shiva Kumar

No comments:

Post a Comment